- I wanted a lens that I knew was discontinued
- I felt that even though it was discontinued, it may still be available
- I searched for and found the lens on multiple sites
- I clicked through to sites and right off the bat, was told that its out of stock
- One site, Dells, indicated it was indeed in stock
- It was indeed, not in stock at Dells, one of the largest computer companies in the world, who doesn't grasp the concept of inventory
- I ordered the lens
- Oops, Dell says "We don't have it"
- My account gets the money back
- I then found the lens on the website of the villain of this story, Simply Electronics (look it up, I won't link to them)
- They had 2 in stock
- Then they had one
- I ordered on the 28th of March, 2011
- Let the games begin
- Did I mention that I used Google Checkout? An outstanding service that appears to stand for nothing!
- Simply Electronics soon found that, and I quote:
"Upon packing your order, we had discovered that our shipment of Sony SAL-500 500mm F8 Reflex Super Telephoto Lens was damaged, and therefore had to be returned.
Unfortunately, the replacements are not expected to arrive within any short period of time.
We apologise for any inconveniences caused, however in this unfortunate event, we would like to ask if there are any other similarly priced products listed on our site that may be suitable as a replacement? Should the price be slightly higher, we can perhaps waive this as a gesture of goodwill (please note we can only do this usually for minor differences).
Likewise, if the price is lower, we can have this reimbursed to your account.
Kindly let us know by reply and we will do our best to expedite this for you. Otherwise, kindly advise on how we should proceed.
Looking forward to your response, thank you.
Customer Service Executive"
- For the folks playing at home, it was never in stock. They must have an excuse box next to the phone and they pulled damaged! Trust me, it was never in stock
- I get it! I'm looking for a discontinued lens! So, cancel and give me my money back, right? Wrong!
- Emails, phone calls, yea, yea, yea! I'm getting nowhere
- Simply Electronics is based in Hong Kong,
- I think that translates to "bye, bye gringo money"
- That was a joke
- This blog is hosted on Blogger, a Google company
- Google Checkout is another Google company
- I participate in the Google Adsense program
- I can't rip you off like Simply Electronics can with Googles blessing
- Google might say that I didn't go through the dispute process
- My bank has a dispute process
- The local branch of my bank disputes what the phone people from the bank say
- If you click on an ad on my sites, I get $.0001 (or less, not sure) and if I buy from Simply Electronics they keep all my money
- I ordered something, never received anything, yet my bank says I could lose the money I paid for nothing!
- There's no such thing as a free lunch! That used to be an old saying.
- Don't mind paying for something you never receive! April 5, 2011! Our banks, our government, us consumers!
- My headaches almost gone and the knots are almost out of my neck! I don't know, do you think they'll try to charge me for therapy?
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Simply Electronics, Simply Disgusting
I posted earlier on my quest for a 500mm Sony lens. This has turned into much more than a simple shopping trip on the web. Its turned into a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Here's a rundown of what led up to this situation: