- I noticed a dead squirrel in the road by my house. It wound up in our yard(smelled), was buried, 3 days later was unburied(smelled worse), dug a deeper hole, buried,(said a few words) with a birdbath base over it. Still dead.
- We had a raccoon in the house which had to be chased out but not buried.
- The neighbors seem to think it came back but did not enter.
- On Saturday, October 2, we went to see Nickelback, Three Days Grace and Buckcherry! They were all great.
- The concert started at 6 pm and ended at 11 pm. It was raining, cold and windy. We took a wrong turn, went down an alley and found a rock that looked like a bird. It was a bird.
- Bird rescue! We took it to the car while passing stupid drunk people and not rescuing them. It got loose in the car after warming up and drying out!
- We took the bird home and put it in a box with a little bird blanky and a screen lid from one of our windows. Estimated time of actually going to sleep: 3 o'clock in the morning.
- It turns out that all birds, even injured ones, start their day at around the same time! That would be at about 6 o'clock in the morning! (note: birds in your house are much, much, louder than when they are outside, trust me on this)
- On Sunday morning, starting about 6 o'clock, I started thinking about letting birdy boy go. Mary continued to sleep till, I don't know, later!
- While Mary slept, I tried to come up with options for our new friend. Just let your mind run wild here. We have many cats in the neighborhood so the backyard was not an option for a stunned bird(we later learned that he or she was indeed, concussed).
- Letting it go in the local park. Good idea, but I don't migrate and he does, so, did he miss the migration bus? Heaven forbid, would she be migrating with other species?
- Option C, we(I called, Mary was still snooze la la) called Penitentiary Glen (Wildlife Center Hotline
(440) 256-2131), a not so local park who I knew does rehabilitate wildlife from reading the local paper.
- We took the "Gray Cheeked Thrush" out to Pen Glen, as the locals call it, and its under good care.
- I ran over a raccoon on the way to work the next Monday. I hit it, but did not kill it, I think it got a bop on the head (I drive a van, it's up higher).
- We took our dog for a walk in the park on Saturday and before long we were confronted by two homeless cats! Two 6 month old kittens came out from nowhere and were meowing at us. Mutzi (my dog) did not approve of this at all. I called some cat rescue people and they were on the way when one of the cats took off like a cat out of hell!
- I had gloves in my van(I'm allergic to cats and stupid people) and caught the second cat and was able to get it to the cat people.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Nickelback, Squirrels and Birds
This is why I don't post as often as I should, in one 2 week or so period, all this occurred: