Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sonys A55 SLT

I've been testing one of Sony's newest cameras, the Sony Alpha SLTA55V DSLR and I must say that I'm impressed with this camera and it's sister, the Sony Alpha SLTA33 DSLR (there's not much difference between the 2, besides $100, GPS and some video capabilities). As I own Sony's first DSLR, the Sony Alpha A100 , the Sony Alpha A350 and the venerable Sony Alpha A700 , I think my opinion on Sony DSLR's carries a little weight. Lets clear one thing up: since this camera lacks a mirror some people will say it's not a DSLR. I don't care because light still reaches the sensor (I don't care how it gets there), and it still takes all the Alpha lenses. Since there is no mirror, Sony was able to make the body smaller and lighter which is more accommodating for a lot of people. This is one feature that I don't really like because I have large hands and there's not quite enough grip for me. I'm hoping Sony will come up with a vertical grip for this camera soon because the battery is slightly smaller than the NP-FM55 or NP-FM500H used in previous cameras and doesn't last quite so long. In Sony's arsenal of cameras that they're launching at the world, this would be the mid-range. The NEX series are the small fries followed by the Axx series and then the Axxx.



Lets get down to business. The A55 sounds smooth and is smooth. I hate to say it's hard to take a bad picture with it, but with the HDR capability and DRO, lets see that bad shot, especially when set on auto or auto+ . I mean, you may frame a bad shot, but you'll get it, warts and all. Really! If Aunt Tilly wasn't smiling before you pressed the shutter button, since this camera can do 10 shots a second, you got her when she did! It sounds like a smooth machine gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment