Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Add music to a web page

Seems like a simple enough procedure, right? Wrong! This is for The Emijj, to juice his page up a bit. I had some of his music already ripped in MP3 and WMA but my web development package Microsoft Expression Web) only recognizes WAVs and some other crappy formats and I wanted to just knock this out and be done. Well, the WAV file size is 39.1 MB and even with most people having broadband, it seems to big. I'm pretty sure that the file downloads first, then plays, so, no, we're not going to do that. Option two is to take that big WAV file and cut it down to size. Audacity will help, so I downloaded it and installed. I imported the WAV file, selected about 30 seconds, played it to check what I selected, then cut it and pasted it into a new project. Then I exported it as a WAV file.
  • The result is a file size of 5.12 MB for 30 seconds
  • The original WAV was 39.1 MB for 3 minutes 52 seconds
  • The original MP3 was 8.88 MB for 3 minutes 52 seconds
  • The original WMA was 3.58 MB for 3 minutes 52 seconds
Then I uploaded it and it doesn't work. Well, it works in internet explorer but not in firefox. For now. Till I find a way to make it work. Because this is doable!

No comments:

Post a Comment