Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fixing Franks Computer

These are the steps I took to fix a Compaq computer with windows XP on it:
  1. I booted the computer up to see what it was doing. It was exhibiting signs of infection.
  2. I rebooted into safe mode (to do this, before the operating system comes up keep hitting the F8 key. You'll get a menu, choose "safe mode").
  3. Once it's done booting and asking questions, click Start>Run. Type "msconfig" in the box. Here and here give some answers to how to use this tool. I basically went to the Startup tab and unchecked things I didn't like or reconize.
  4. I rebooted. Here's where you can tell if you're on the right track. The computer boots faster and no pop-ups.
  5. Next, I thought it would be fun to install Spybot Search and Destroy. I know it's growing long in the tooth but, it's free and still gets the job done.
  6. After that, Threatfire seemed a good choice. It doesn't use a lot of system resources and once installed you don't notice it, but computers seem more stable with it installed.
  7. Okay, out with the old, in with the new, antivirus that is. Norton had expired, so I clicked Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs. I went through the process of uninstalling Norton antivirus (required a reboot). 
  8. Prior to this step, I had downloaded Avira to the desktop. Consistently rated the best antivirus program, it's the one I recommend (and I'm affiliated with them).
  9. I scanned with Avira after installing, and again after booting back into safe mode.
  10. I also recommended CCleaner as a registry cleaner, located here.
I believe in good Karma, one of the many reasons I posted this How-to on restoring your computer to good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment