- The screen was displaying messages
- I determined the messages were O.S.D.(on screen display)coming from the monitor
- I popped in a Knoppix ver. 5.1 Live cd and rebooted
- The computer worked fine
- I took the hard drive out and tried to image it. It stopped at 77%.
- I took the hard drive out and tried to clone it. It stopped at 77%.
- I attempted to run error checking on it. It froze.
- The hard drive is bad.
- No operating system disk. I installed Kubuntu.
- I didn't like the way Kubuntu worked.
- I had to boot into Win 98 and get rid of the partitions(seemed the easiest) and start over.
- It wouldn't read the Ubuntu cd, the laser seemed weak.
- Let the computer sit for awhile. The laser warmed up, installed Ubuntu.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Helping Al P. #2
Als computer quit working right again. Here are the steps I went through to find and fix the problem